Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Left Undone Those Things I Ought To Have Done

Mega hypermodern novels line my bookshelves. They have been carefully gathered over decades of roaming the used bookstores of the U.S., my head turned sideways in the book collector posture, reading through the bottom of my bifocals and learning the bibliography of this (fascinating to me) subgenre of fiction.

I did a survey of my shelves recently, inspired by the publication of Ralph Ellison's posthumous "second" novel, the 1136 pages compendium of 40 years of writing, Three Days Before The Shooting ... which was reviewed in the Financial Times.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2cb8e368-1ce5-11df-aef7-00144feab49a.html

I looked for other novels which fit into the category of "Three Days" and which I should put onto my read and study list for my undetermined but still far in the future retirement.

Here is my list:

Sometimes a Great Notion - Ken Kesey
Babel Tower - A.S. Byatt
Rememberance of Things - Proust
In the Spoirit of Crazy Horse - Matthiessen
Colossus - Stephen Marlowe
An Instance At the Fingerpost - Pears
Antarctic Navigation - Elizabeth Arthur
Giles Goat Boy - Barth
Women and Men - Joseph McElroy
JR and The Recognitions - William Gaddis
Divine Days - Leon Forrest
Ulysses - James Joyce
The Royal Family - William Vollmann
Harlot's Ghost - Norman Mailer
Gravitiy's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Underworld - Don Delillo
French Lieutenant's Woman - John Fowles
Night's Dawn Triolgy - Peter Hamilton
Shannara Saga - Terry Brooks
The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe
Robert Angstrom (Rabbit) - John Updike
Quiet Flows the Don - Mikhail Sholokov
The Baroque Cycle - Neal Stephenson
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
Inherit the Earth Future History - Brian Stableford
Cyteen - CJ Cherryh Sphere: Related Content

No comments: